Here is the paragraph from

http://www.totalrecorder.com/TR_and_Vista.htm

• Windows Vista does not allow to set Total Recorder driver as a
system default playback and recording device, therefore under Windows
Vista the Total Recorder
driver can record output only of those programs that do not use (or
can work without using) Direct Sound and allow to select an audio
device independently
of the system settings. This issue is related to the significant
changes in functioning of the sound subsystem in the Windows Vista.
Regretfully, most
audio playback programs do not satisfy these criteria and cannot be
recorded in Software mode. You can only record output of these
programs in Soundboard
mode if your sound card has an appropriate line (see below).

Dean