The issue of optical disk storage fragility has to do with the physical
characteristics of CDs and DVDs.  They are made of plastics with various
surface
layerings.  I read about this years ago that early commercial CDs  were
already going bad in the early 90s.   I've lost a number of data  CDs over the
years, generally because I had been buying cheap CD  blanks.   Plastic is not a
stable medium and I'm very worried about  all the photos I digitized years ago.
Dan F