I really think a lot of the antenna placement depends on
location.  I'm in central Iowa, and I have one antenna which sits
atop our kitchen cupboard, pointing straight up.  The other is on our
deck, southwest side of the house, again pointing straight up.  Each
person needs to experiment and see what is best for them.  Norma