It also happens to me since I upgraded from Windows 98 to XP either if I use
a different output in Winamp than the Direct Sound output or when there are
stronger sounds, for example when signing into Skype but fortunately MSN
sounds don't disturb it here. I have Soundblaster Live as well and use
mainly JAWS 4.51 but it would happen also for example with NVDA when using
SAPI. I noticed it happens mainly with SAPI voices; only Espeak doesn't get
disturbed by sounds.
Martina