I found this fantastic and very accessible program, called "River Past
Audio Converter," which will take audio from virtually anything and
encode it to virtually anything, as long as you have the appropriate
codecs to read or write the source and destination formats on your
system.  The demo will only convert the first two minutes of the file,
but that was enough to make me want it.  My only problem is I think
fifty dollars is a bit much for this. Has anyone any suggestion for
something that does the same thing that River Past does for maybe half
the price?

Thanks in advance.