On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:34:51 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm seeking a machine or software which is easy to use, accessible, and
>able to somehow combine plain audio files with plain text files to
>present song lyrics while the music plays. I'd rather not have to go
>with special formats, but if something is around which is flexible and
>good to use, I'll learn what I must to deal with it and get it going.

Never mind re-inventing the wheel, just go with the standard Karaoke
player, PKaraoke.  It's written in Python (whatever that is) and
handles the standard CDG files which are obtainable on the net or for
purchase.

If you really *REALLY* wanna go big big big-time, you can go for
Virtual DJ, which, in addition to playing Karaoke files, can support
two screens--one for the operator and one for the singer.  It's
expensive, though, but if you're going to be doing this for real and
often, it's well worth the price. Oh by the way, it also just so
happens to be the software of choice for just about everybody in the
DJ business these days. It scratches, uses time-coding records for
analog scratching, has looping and replay capabilities, all very nice,
and is supposedly the best karaoke player for those in the biz today.
http://www.virtualdj.com for a 20-day trial.  And it's *NOT* very
blind-user-friendly, but workable, if you're willing to work at it a
bit.