Interesting post Steve, and I'm coming at this from your
recommmendation of the Electrovoice RE20.

Very good mic, and I believe Paul McCartney is a fan of it.  Just one
slight caution though:  its a pretty low output mic and, unless you've
a low noise pre-amp with plenty of gain, you're gonna have to get nice
up-n-close.  Then again, that's another of the virtues of the RE20;
it can stand a lot of close work without poppping and thumping, but
within limits.  Very nice natural tone or voicing to this mic.

I like a bit of acoustic or ambiance to my voice recordingand when
used further away, then the RE20 needs a good 60Db of gain or more in
the pre amps.  Lower end mixers don't cut it in this respect.

I've bought a couple off eBay where you can get them for quite a nice
price.

HTH.

>From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at: