Since you use a Mack, have you tried protools?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dane Trethowan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2008 2:33 AM
Subject: Re: sound editing?

I love that sort of question as everyone is bound to have a different
opinion <smile> and (in my opinion) there is no best audio editing
software solution on the market just as there is and never will be a
perfect cassette recorder on the market, each package has its
advantages and disadvantages and I'll give you my opinion for what its
worth and I'm sure it will open up many lines of discussions.
You mention Sound Forge? Yes, that's not a bad package but my
annoyance with Sound Forge is that its one of those packages that
tries to be everything to everyone so in the process you find many
areas which have been comprimised. Its been my experience for instance
that if you record in Sound Forge and you look at the markers log,
you'll see that Sound Forge notes many minor gaps in the recording and
in my view that's just not good enough for a "so-called" professional
piece of software so given that I found myself using Sound Forge
exclusively for editing purposes and then doing the recording job with
Total recorder. As a footnote to this however, I found that most of
the stuff I recorded with Total Recorder were easily edited anyway
with that package so in the end? Well for what I was doing Sound Forge
had turned out to be a massive waste of money and I thus never
bothered to upgrade from Version 8 to Version 9, that was all of
course before the Mac came along and changed everything when it came
to audio editors and I'll mention this here again because for those
who are starting out with audio editing could be in for some very
pleasant and cheap surprises.
I have 3 different audio editors for the Mac, why 3 you ask? Well put
simply, these editors were dirt cheap, each has advantages and
disadvantages over each so it was worthwhile it appears to buy all 3
to see what each offered. My favourite thus far is fast becoming
Amadeus Pro which I bought a couple of weeks ago for $40.00 and it
appears to be the most accessible editor for the Mac I've seen yet. I
won't go into everything that Amadeus Pro offers as we'd be here all
night if I listed everything but I'll tell you a few things to wet the
appetite. first and foremost, it has many ways and means to move and
manipulate audio data. Next you have full control of multi track
editing. Then, you have the built-in audio noise reduction stuff.
Finally, the world is your oyster, not only can Amadeus Pro use its
own extensive range of plug-ins, you can download extra plug-ins from
the net or use those which come with Apple's Operating System Leopard.
So their's my opinion again, for what its worth <smile>.

On 29/02/2008, at 10:02 PM, TrueBlue & Proud wrote:

> hi guys,
> what is the best sound editing software on the market today?.
>
> What is the basic differences between Gold Wave & SoundForge?,
>
> What are the latest versions of both pieces of software, and which
> is more
> speech friendly?,
> Billy
> Billy