Larry
I'm sure you'll know about the automatic scratch hiss and hum removal preset
in DC6 and 7. It actually can be pretty good at adjusting to various
problems over a large file. The noise reduction presets are also excellent -
there's usually something which works. The compression and expansion along
with the general exciter presets are varied and excellent. Version 7 claims
to get rid of the many sound artifacts which can occur. I also have their
audio mentor which interfaces with the main program linking and using noise
reduction and exciter presets effectively. I've to use the jaws cursor here
but it's good.

The couple of problems we have in not having a fully accessible program are
as follows:
1. The file navigation and selection tools need linking into standard
Windows keypresses, as in Audition and Gold Wave. At present if I'm really
stuck I'll take a noise sample from the file in Audition - just a second or
two - then analyse it in DC7, make a preset, then apply it to the whole
file. Similarly if I'm really stuck I'll break the whole file into time
sections which I take careful note of and after performing cleaning in DC7 I
then rebuild the file so as not to be one frame out.
2. The other place I would like access to is the multitab editor where you
can chain a variety of effects so that they are all applied at once rather
than just one at a time. You can then put together your favourites and make
a thorough and quicker difference.

3. The preset boxes are pretty good but it would be good to have the 'fine
tuning' sliders more easy to work. At present they will work with the Jaws
cursor but it would be good to make adjustments by tabbing to the particular
area and making changes which you can hear instantly. To get round this I'll
place the Jaws cursor in the preset combo box, tab to the preview button,
once it has started use the jaws cursor to go down the list of presets, thus
hearing each effect on the file in turn. It does work with not too much
problem. As you say it's a wonderfully comprehensive sound editing package
and so worth all this trouble.

Have you tried Audition 1.5 (old now but effective) I can use this to home
in on clicks and zap them.
Regards.
Gordon