Hi,
I can't tell you anything about the list, but I often use WMP 11 to play DVD
movies. In most cases, it's a matter of hitting cntrl S to stop the initial
play, followed by cntrl P to start the commercials before the movie. In many
other cases, merely hitting enter will start the movie.
Your friend may be experiencing the screen that asks you to select which
version of the movie you'd like to watch, such as theatrical, behind the
scenes, final edit etc. It largely depends on how the movie studio set up the
DVD and of course, a number of features may not be accessed via screenreaders.

Best Regards,
Cornell