Hi Chris,

One way of doing what you want in Sound Forge is to do the following.

1. Record all of your clips on both channels as normal.

2. Convert to mono if the left and right channels contain different things
(i.e. are in stereo) and you want a combination of both
channels to appear in one.

3. Open a new file and create a file of silence which is longer than any of the
sections you wish to mute.

4. Copy this new file to the clipboard with Ctrl+a and ctrl+c.

5. Switch back to the original file with ctrl+f6.

6. As you know, pressing tab cycles between left channel, right channel and
both.  If you want to mute the left channel, tab until
you only hear the left channel and select the section of recording you wish to
mute using the i and o keys.  I'm sure you know how
to do this.

7. From the edit menu, select paste special and overwrite.  This will overwrite
only as much of the left channel as you have
selected with the silence from the other file.  You will get a warning about
copying two channels to one, but just select OK.  You
can probably avoid this warning if you record your silence file in mono.

8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 as above for the right channel.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Barry Chapman