From: Dane Trethowan [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: VIP-L Mail List [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Everyone!

Well to be honest, I don't have much call for my Trashbox PC these
days but this application certainly makes the PC worth the while using.

Total Recorder v7 expands on the theme of inovation which was started
with V6, some ground breaking features introduced in V& include the
ability to "time shift" recordings or as the procedure is otherwise
known, "Chase Playback".  I will hereby refer to "Time Shifting" as
"Chase Playback" in this article because the term to "Time Shift"
actually applies to other audio editing and reproduction procedures.

So what is "Chase Playback"? Perhaps the following examples best
illustrate the facility.  You'll no doubt be aware that with a Tape
deck or VCR, everything is recorded sequentially onto tape, that is to
say you can't play back what's been recorded until you press "stop",
then rewind the tape and press "Play", this means of course that you
cannot record anything whilst playing the content you previously
recorded unless you have say another deck or VCR connected to take
over the recording from where your other recorder left off.  "Chase
Playback" changes that, you can start recording, go have a cup of
coffee, press the "play button" and start playing from the start of
the recording.  You could also use this facility say if the phone
rings, pause the playback, Total Recorder keeps recording till you've
finished with your phone call, then press the Pause button again to
resume listening from where you left off.

This feature is an admirable enhancement to any audio or video
recording package and I'm extremely disappointed that Audio Hijack Pro
for the Mac still does not have a similar feature, will that come?
Well who knows but I guess we can just keep knocking on the door of
the developers of Audio Hijack and hope for the best.

"Chase Playback" with Total Recorder is not without its faults
however, I used "Chase Playback" this evening, started the function
halfway through a recording of a 30 minute news bulletin, about 15
minutes later the Playback suddenly stopped and it only took me a few
seconds to realise why. The scheduler for Total Recorder had stopped
recording the audio source exactly 30 minutes after it had started, so
far so good.  I'd started the "chase playback" halfway through so when
the recording stopped? Well so did the "Chase Playback", I was able to
resume by pressing "play" and thus hear the bulletin to the end but I
have to admit, this distraction was rather annoying and surely, their
must be a work around to avoid this sort of thing happening, I've sent
a note to the developers of Total Recorder so we'll see what happens.

Now we come to a second part of Total Recorder V7 which I believe to
be a great leap forward and that's the ability to "Capture" Internet
streams in their native format, up until now when you've captured an
Internet stream the stream has been converted to another format thus
usually causing some aspects of audio quality to be lost, you can
still have Total Recorder convert to your desired format if that's
what you want.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get this "Software Recording"
function to work, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't and here
we find that Audio Hijack just thrashes Total recorder, with Audio
Hijack (as the name suggests), you "hijack" the source you wish to
capture and that's the end of the story, record, redirect or whatever
but with Total Recorder? Well its a matter of trying to "Troubleshoot"
or determine why the software isn't capturing the stream, the Skip
call or whatever and as the manual says, this could be for any number
of reasons, anything from incompatible software to incompatible
drivers but I guess, one shouldn't be surprised when running Windows
<smile>.  I don't mind admitting that I just gave up using Total
Recorder to capture the BBC World Service stream or the audio stream
from Radio 2SM in Sydney and got Audio Hijack Pro on the Mac to do the
job instead.

Should you buy Total Recorder? Well the Professional version at $35.00
U.S> is a "Must Have" in my view if you're wanting to record audio,
the "Chase Playback" function sets this application apart from
anything else I know about thus far and that alone makes your $40.00
well spent.  The audio editor isn't too bad and the rules function
makes this software extremely flexible.

When I can, i plan to purchase the video add-on.

******************************
Dane Trethowan
 From Melton Victoria Australia
mailto:Dane Trethowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Phone +613 9747 3975
Fax/TTY +61 3 9743 7954
Voiceover Tech Support phone +61 3 8732 9237
mobile/sms: +614 418 773 532
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
skype: callto:grtdane12
******************************

******************************
Dane Trethowan
 From Melton Victoria Australia
mailto:Dane Trethowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
phone +61 3 8732 9237
Fax/TTY +61 3 9743 7954
mobile/sms: +614 418 773 532
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
skype: callto:grtdane12

Regards Steve
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Windows Live Messenger:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype:  steve1963

Jonathan Mosen List Founder