The question of a device is somewhat complicated.  There are screenless
commercially available players like the Creative Labs, Zen Stone (1 and
2 gb models, the Creative Labs Muvo t100 (1, 2 and 4 gb models) the and
the Ipod  Shuffle.  There are devices built specifically for the blind
like the VR Stream from Humanware.  There are also commercially
available players with much more storage that can be made to "talk" with
the addition of software from Rockbox.

What do you want the .mp3 player to do?  Hold and play lots of music?
Play enough music for a work out or walk or trip?  Do you want it to
play Audible and other recorded books?

Does size matter?  The Creative Labs players and the Shuffle are all
very small.  The VR Stream is about the size of a deck of cards and the
players that can be loaded with Rockbox vary in size.

Finally, what are you looking to spend?  The commercially available
screenless models are generall under $75.  I think the Stream is around
$300 and you will need to buy memory cards.  And the other players vary
depending on availability, size and features.

Hope this gets you started.

There are good discussions of various options on AFB Main Stream, in
AFB's Access World magazine and in a book from NBP.

Hope this helps.