Your problem is twofold.

First, the channel problem can be solved with a minor correction of
cable.  Most laptops have a single eight-inch or 3.5 millimeter jack
which is actually a stereo affair with three conductors.  A quick trip
to Radio Shack or a store like it will get you what you need--a cable
with a three-eighth-inch stereo plug on one end for the laptop and two
RCA plugs on the other, which you should adapt to quarter-inch plugs
for the mixer.

For the stereo, a dual RCA-to-RCA patch cord will do what you need,
but you'll need to adapt one end to fit your mixer's quarter-inch jack
requirement.

Now, as to your level problem ... some mixers have what are called
trim pots which adjust the level above and beyond what the normal
sliders do.  Some also have a switch which either defeats or puts into
the circuit some kind of preamplification, usually used for
microphones and not needed for external audio sources like PC's or
stereo systems because they have enough oomph to drive the front end
of most mixers.  Check your  mixer to make sure it doesn't have
something like a 20dB defeat switch that may be engaged.  Careful,
though, 20dB is a great deal of audio.  When you find this switch or
control and disable its action, you may get a horrendous lot of noise
and feedback, depending on what you've got connected, so make any and
all adjustments with the levels low low low, definitely without the
use of headphones.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 14:27:30 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>I have a Bharinger 5 channel mixer, and I would like to connect some external
>sources to it like a stereo system, and my laptop. I have all required cables,
>and 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapters for them. However, each channel has 2 inputs. If I
>connect the cable from say, the laptop to one of the inputs, the output is
>very quiet and unclear, and only plays in 1 stereo channel, the left or the
>right. This is with the input volume turned up, and the volume of the laptop
>also turned up. The same thing happens if I connect the laptop or stereo to
>the other input on the channel. So, in short, if I connect an external source
>to my mixer, it only plays in the left or right, and is very quiet and
>unclear. Do I need to buy a certain type of cable with 2 connecters on the
>end? Or do I just need to buy a mixer that doesn't suck?
>--Check out my radio and TeamTalk server! http://www.jls-radio.com
>--
>James Scholes
>
>E-mail: ja...@jamesscholes.com
>MSN/Windows Live Messenger: jamesscho...@msn.com
>AIM: JamesScholes000
>Skype: james.scholes
>Website: http://www.jamesscholes.com
>Blog: http://www.jamesscholes.com/blog
>Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jamesscholes
>Find me on Facebook! Username: jamesscholes
>Link to Facebook profile:
>http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1375965156&hiq=jamesscholes
>Last.FM Profile: http://www.last.fm/user/jamesscholes000

Jonathan Mosen List Founder