Thanks for the valuable feedback. I will probably wait as you suggest. I agree with you about reducing sound quality when shrinking the files. I really wish the wav files weren't so big since they are the best sounding in my opinion.

Thanks again.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Chaltain" <cchalt...@austin.rr.com>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 11:40 PM
Subject: Re: converting mp3 to gp3 or mp4 etc question

You can use Switch Sound File converter. The FAQ on the files types supported, which includes a link where you can download the program, is at http://www.nch.com.au/switch/kb/747.html. This is a 14 day free trial, but after the 14 days is up, it'll still work in a limited fashion, but converting from MP3 files won't be effected.

I personally wouldn't be too quick to convert your MP3 files, unless you're desperate for space. there hasn't been a media player--to my knowledge--that hasn't supported MP3 files, and I doubt this will happen any time soon. Furthermore, there will always be programs to convert from MP3 (there are just too many of them out there right now) to other file types, so you could just wait until this is needed.

Also you won't be improving the quality of your music, and in fact, you may be introducing artifacts. If you're looking for a smaller footprint with better quality, you'd have to go back to your original source.

For my part, I'm still ripping music into the MP3 file format. I'm no audiofile, and the convenience of MP3 just can't be beat. I know I can play it anywhere. Note that I have been toying with the idea of switching file formats, but I haven't settled on a new format yet, and I'm not in any hurry.

Dan Thompson wrote:
Hi All, I have over three terrabytes of mp3 files and am thinking of the future when these types of files will not be used any more. What program should I get to convert mp3 to the newer formats. I currently use soundforge 9.e , or adobe audition 3.0 to do batch file conversion from cda to mp3 or wav format.
Any informationwill be greatly apppreciated.

Jonathan Mosen List Founder

Christopher

cchalt...@austin.rr.com

Jonathan Mosen List Founder