I sure hope someone on this list can help me diagnose this.  I haven't had a
problem until today, and I've no idea what got changed.  Here's the
background:

I'm converting some four-track cassettes to MP3 audio for replay in my
Victor Stream.  I'm using a stereo cassette machine to do this, which means
one of my channels plays normally, the other is reversed.

The problem is, I'm not getting any separation in the channels any more.  I
hear both voices on both channels.  I've checked the source, and the stereo
machine is indeed playing the cassettes correctly.  In other words, one
voice is reversed in one channel, the other channel contains the normal
track, and they are very much separated.

Now when I set up the recording attributes in Sound Forge 9, it says that
the sample rate is 44100 Hz. And the channels are stereo.  There's nothing
here that says mono.

Any thoughts at all as to what I'm doing wrong all the sudden?  I've played
music through the sound card, and it comes out in stereo just fine.  The
problem appears to linked to either sound Forge or to the settings in my
record volume control.  This is a Vista machine, by the way.

Please, any help at all would be most welcome.  I'm obviously done
converting these tapes until I can get the channels separated again.

And yes, I've restarted the machine several times.

Regards,

Nolan

Jonathan Mosen List Founder