Dear PC Audio List & Goldwave Tech Support:
Whenever I run Goldwave on my laptop, I first get this bonking sound (like
when you get to the end of a line of text).  It continues repeatedly bonking
for around 2 or 3 minutes.  I then get a Jaws Application error message.  I
hit enter on the send error message button.  It sends the message then
repeats the error message.  When I select send error message this time, it
blows Jaws out and I have to restart the computer.  This only happens when I
start Goldwave, no other programs are affected at any time.

I have the sounds settings in the control panel set to the built in sound
card, SigmaTel Audio.  The device, play, record settings in Goldwave are set
to the same sound card.  I am using Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 5101
laptop.  Very vanilla.

The error message stated:
Sz appName jfweve SZ appVer 905192
SZMODName NTCll cll
SZ modver 5/2600 5512 offset 0000120e
The Following files will be included in the error report:
Docume 1\psmith\locals1\t emp\Wer5320 di 00 exe.mdmp
Jfw.exe.mdmp

The only red flag to me in that mass of letters and numbers is the
jfw.exe.mdmp line.  I am cc-ing a very nice fellow with customer service at
Goldwave on this email.  The folks at Freedom Scientific had little to say
other than they have heard of Goldwave and that I should try a listserve
called jfw-lite.  They said that they had no idea what to do with that error
message.  I think the problem is a basic one , but I have yet to figure it
out.  Has anyone encountered this situation?  I have tried removing Goldwave
and adding a fresh new copy.  I also tried using the Jaws default settings
and the bonking and error messages continued.  I have also tried variations
on the Jaws 9.0 ini file entry.  All with no luck.

Help!

Peter Smith
Charleston, South Carolina