nolan i have done that too my friend do not fee l bad. chris
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nolan Crabb" <ncr...@gmail.com>
To: "'PC Audio Discussion List'" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 3:18 PM
Subject: I'm About to be Nominated to the Dumb Computer Audio Tricks Hall ofFame!

List members, you may recall last week I presented a detailed explanation of a problem I was having with Sound Forge 9 and two stereo channels appearing
in the same channel.  In other words, I could hear both channels in each
separate channel as though they had been mixed into a mono channel; hope
that recap makes sense.

I told you at the time that I had reseated the patch cord into the PC
without satisfactory results.  Many of you wrote back to encourage me to
reinstall the audio drivers perhaps or possibly double check to ensure that
Sound Forge was indeed recording in stereo in the first place.

Well, here's why I'm likely a good nominee for the Computer Audio Stupid
Tricks hall of fame: I decided after being frustrated with this problem all
week and trying a bunch of solutions--using a different tape player, etc.,
that I would just start again with the absolute basics.  I knew beyond any
doubt more sure of it than I was of being able to breathe, that I had
inserted that cable properly and fully into my PC's audio input jack.  But
just for grins, I decided to give that plug one more little nudge.  It
already felt tight and in all the way.

Well, you can all guess the rest, and by now I hope you're smiling just a
bit.  Trust me, you should smile guilt free about this; I've been laughing
at myself since yesterday. When I gave that cord that little nudge, I heard
it click just once more and felt it settle into the jack ever-so-slightly
further. Of course, my problem instantly went away and I was again hearing
my separate tracks in their separate channels as they should be.

Well, that's what being arrogant and cocky will do for you.  I was so
absolutely certain I had that cord in there as far as it would go, but that extra eighth of an inch or so made all the difference. I figured I'd share
my little story, since none of you have ever done anything like that and
never will. I want you to at least vicariously enjoy a good laugh or smile at my expense or along with me or whatever you prefer. I guess the moral of
this little story is, no matter how sure you are about your connections,
check'em one last time before you write this list.

Thanks to all of you who wrote back and expressed your concern; I hope
you'll forgive me for wasting your time reading and responding to that
earlier message.

Nolan, who can easily be recognized in a PC-Audio list group photo because
he's the one wearing the embarrassed smile.

Jonathan Mosen List Founder

Jonathan Mosen List Founder