Time to look up the Silicon Chip web site I think, http://www.siliconchip.com.au

On 12/03/2009, at 7:28 PM, Peter Scanlon wrote:

Looking for info on a cassette player that can connect via USB to computer, and available in Australia?

Any info please.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Stewart" <paga...@wi.rr.com>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:15 AM
Subject: Re: converting from 4 track to cd

I use a Sound Blaster Live. Sound Blaster Gold is a better one. Just depends on how much the quality matters to you. Not sure what you mean by "four track". Do you mean Talking Book four track mono? In this case, nearly anything that is good at all and with aline input will do. If you're talking about stereo reel to reel tapes, then you'd probably want a fairly good and quiet card. There are even USB sound cards that are very good these days. As for software, my favorite for doing the transfer is Goldwave. Very accessible and easy to use after getting used to it. You can make very precise edits with it and you can have a free demo version that lets you do up to 100 operations per boot session. You can buy it for $45 U.S. at least that's what I paid for it and don't think the price has changed. If you don't need the editing function then CDEX is your choice. It is completely free. Will record sound to several formats including .wav and mp3. For burning the CD I prefer Nero but EZ CD DA extractor is also very good and it can do conversions as well as burn. So you have several choices and others on this list probably have others as well.

B B

Roger

Lauren wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the info. What kind of a sound card do I need to get for the 4 track player? What is good but affordable?

What is the most affordable software, easy to use for a blind person to do the actual transfer so I can have either a .mp3 or .wav file on a CD?

Thanks. It sounds very complicated.

Sincerely,

Lauren
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Stewart" <paga...@wi.rr.com >