After all this time, you may already have answers to your question, but just in case you don't, here are some questions that I hope contain an answer or two. Are you sure that it is a text based .pdf file, or is it an image? If it is an image with little or no text to be read, then Textaloud, like your screen reader cannot read directly from the document. If it is text based, then I don't know what the problem might be. Have you tried reading the file with your screen reader first to make sure that it isn't actually a series of graphic images with text written on them? If it is in deed an image, and not a text based document, you might try running the document through an OCR program like Openbook, or Kurzweil if you are fortunate to have either one of these programs. After doing so, then convert the resulting text document to something that Textaloud might recognize, then try converting to .mp3.

I must admit, that as an only occasional Textaloud user, that I've never attempted to have Textaloud render a .pdf file into audio, but if it is designed to do so, then the suggestions I've given above will work. Sure hope I'm not out of line here, and hope you've solved your problem by now.