Greetings all:

In preparation for possibly purchasing an iPod Nano, I decided to change my computer's default speech from Microsoft Mary to just about anything else. I currently have K 1000, Jaws, and Window-Eyes installed on my system. I have had Open Book and System Access installed in the past. Using either screen reader and going into Control panel and choosing speech, as soon as I press enter I received the following error message:

Speech Properties
The requested task cannot be carried out because the necessary engine could not be created. Please select a
different engine and/or a different audio device.
OK

After pressing ok, I am able to supposedly select a different speech engine. Most of them are Scansoft voices as well as the Microsoft voices. Two are VW Kate and VW Paul. After choosing any setting and pressing ok, I get the following error:

RUNDLL
An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Speech\sapi.cpl",Speech"
OK

I will be most appreciative if anyone can shed some light on this for me. I Googled the errors and found references to them but no solutions. Thanks for any and all help.