... as a headphone amplifier for the week signal that comes from the
line-out on their PC sound card to drive headphones with?  I've got
speakers everywhere, but none have headphone outs.  The flea power
output from the line-out on my sound card is insufficient to drive a
quality pair of 'phones, and all the headphone amps I see out there
are these big-mother hundred-dollars-plus things that are way way
overkill for my needs, and not portable after all that.  Somebody
somewhere must know of a box with a few C cells in it that'll do this
and do it nicely.  Nicely, as in, not too much of a noise floor,
silence cut-off for when I forget and fall asleep or just leave the
thing around and forget to shut it off, that kind of nicely.