I'm not exactly sure how to ask this, but I'm hoping to get some pointers to more information and some advice. My son is asking for a turntable for his birthday. I assumed it was to access music he can only find on vinyl, but he says it's for higher sound quality than he can get off of CD's or MP3's.

I still have the component based stereo system I built when I was younger, which currently includes a receiver, DVD player and DVR. I retired my turntable and VCR a while ago. I would not be surprised if such a system, with high quality components, could produce better sound than you'd get off of a PC or portable media player.

I guess I'm wondering a couple of things. Is this true that you can get better sound quality out of a high fidelity system than you can from a PC or portable media player? If so, how would you go about building such a system today? Would you do what I did years ago and start assembling your components? Could I get him a nice turntable that he could hook up to his PC for now and then include in a component based stereo system down the road?

Thanks for any advice or pointers people could provide me. I haven't started looking around on the web, but I'm assuming I'd be overwhelmed with the amount of information out there on such a topic.

--
Christopher

cchalt...@austin.rr.com