On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:39:40 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have been given some avi films, is there any way I can
>convert them into dvd's to play on my tv?

As has been previously mentioned, newer DVD players can handle .AVI
files just fine.  Best thing to do is waste a CD and try it.  If it
works, you know the rest.  If it doesn't, see above.  My old Apex
el-cheapo-less-than-fifty-dollars special I bought at a chain store
handles them just fine.  If you want to play them on your PC, Winamp
can do it, but you'll need plug-ins for the AC3 audio and the XVid
(DivX) video.  Supposedly VLC can do this as well without any add-ons
or plug-ins.  Can't say for sure as I've not tried that yet myself.