Hi. in answer to your question, My sound card is from creative. Its the X-FI
stream music. I got it for $80 about two years ago, but I think it was just
discontinued and closed out at a price of about $60. You may be still able to
get it at that price. Or maybe its replacement is just as good. Its a card
dedicated mostly to music listening and easy to use if your blind and use Jaws.
Another way to go if your looking for a good card is turtle beach I had a
turtle beach in the windows me days that was better than anything I  ever had
but there are no drivers for it with windows XP.  so I can't use it any more.
I'd actually look in to turtle beach cards first. I can't remember the number
of it, but I remember reading about a nice one for about $55 that has separate
mic and line jacks. That's hard to fine today in a card. Of course if you
really want to go nuts, you could get a pro card from M audio for about$900.
But that's not necessary unless you have a recording studio and do pro
recording. That being said, you can still get good results doing live recording
if your a musician with some of these mid priced cards.
Take care, Joe.