BBC Radiolabs blog posting October 7:

At BBC Radio we try to deliver the best experience for users of our
streaming services. We constantly review our services to make sure they
deliver 'public value'. The four drivers of public value are: Reach,
Quality, Impact and Value.

When streaming services are evaluated against these measures, we take into
account where different formats might need to be implemented, evolved or
deprecated.

The streaming service provided in RealMedia format has been with us at the
BBC since 1996. At the time it was the best option available, but more
recently alternative methods of delivery have become just as important.
These include Windows Media and Flash.

When evaluating services with our public value tests, which includes the
costs of the services, we came to the decision that RealMedia was something
we needed to phase out.

The actions to phase out RealMedia are broken down as follows:

National networks - e.g. Radio 2, Radio 6Music, Asian Network, etc
Nations - e.g. BBC Radio Scotland , BBC Radio Wales, etc
Local Radio - e.g. BBC Cumbria, BBC Bristol, etc
WorldService - the English language streaming service in iPlayer only -
international World Service streams are unaffected.

National networks

It was clear that we could easily plan for a migration period for National
networks during which RealMedia and alternatives will be available and allow
for our audience and third-parties to make changes in a reasonable period.

So we'll be phasing out RealMedia by 30 March, 2010 for National networks.

In order to improve the experience in the BBC iPlayer web interface, we'll
change the lower bandwidth option from its current RealMedia offering to a
new Flash offering at 48kbps. We hope for this to be completed in October.

The legacy RealMedia streams will continue to exist on our systems until the
March deadline, so that it gives those who still use them time to migrate to
using the alternative:

Windows Media for Live streams - available globally for these services
Windows Media for Listen Again streams - will phase in over the next few
months and be available globally.

Nations & Local Radio

The technology used for Nations and Local Radio services is more restrictive
and a more difficult decision had to be made. A migration period would not
have been possible without a significant increase in equipment which could
not be justified. We had to make the unfortunate decision to switch off
RealMedia as we simply could not offer both RealMedia and Windows Media at
the same time.

In addition to the disruption caused to the Listen Live services, an
unforeseen dependency means that the Listen Again service in Windows Media
won't be operational until November.

World Service

Due to differences in production, World Service live and on-demand streams
will continue to be available in Flash, RealMedia and Windows Media formats.
However, if you access our content through BBC iPlayer it will only be
available in Flash. Links to RealMedia and Windows Media versions of our
programmes will be available from bbcworldservice.com.

Mark Kortekaas is Future Media Controller, A&M and Mobile Media

Above posting with comments and links at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiolabs/2009/10/realmedia_an_update.shtml