Yep, I have an ipod video here and love it to bits.

I'll never get rid of it, and its all thanks to rockbox. *big hugs go to the rockbox devs!*

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Chaltain" <chalt...@gmail.com>
To: "'PC Audio Discussion List'" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:03 PM
Subject: RE: zenstone versus the ipod

I totally agree, and I've since retired my two Zen Stones in favor of a
Sansa e280 running Rockbox. However, a Zen Stone is going to be easier to
use and work right out of the box. If you're looking for the simplest and
cheapest off the shelf product to listen to music, audio books or DRM
protected files then I'd still recommend the Zen Stone, if you can find one.

I don't find any of this hard to do with Rockbox on the Sansa e280, but here
are the steps you'd have to go through to get a truly accessible portable
media player:
1) Make sure you get a v1 version of the Sansa e200 series. The v2 versions won't work with Rockbox. Note there are other players supported by Rockbox.
I also have an iRiver H20 running Rockbox. Check out rockbox.org for the
list of supported players.
2) Download and unzip Rockbox to your Sansa e200. To do this you need to
make sure the Sansa attaches to your PC as a mass storage device. You'll
also need to update the Sansa's boot loader. This is all pretty well
documented in the Rockbox documentation.
3) Download the voice file and unzip it onto your Sansa to get the menus to
be spoken to you.
4) Download the Voice Box utility to create audio clips for the files and
folders on your Sansa.
5) Use something like Sound Taxi to convert your DRM protected files into
MP3 files that you can play on your Sansa running Rockbox.
None of this is particularly hard, and if you do this, you'll end up with a much more accessible and featured rich portable MP3 player, but it is going
to take a little time and a bit of work.

--
Christopher
chalt...@gmail.com