I can assure you that in developing countries and especially in Africa it
seems as if shortwave is still alive and well!

Andre

-----Original Message-----
From: pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org [mailto:pc-audio-boun...@pc-audio.org]
On Behalf Of Dane Trethowan
Sent: 17 November 2009 03:13 AM
To: PC Audio Discussion List
Subject: Re: shortwave radio

I really don't know why all the bother on this because there is hardly
anything on the band right at the moment and a new standard of shortwave
radio will arrive on the market in the coming year, the "DRM" standard will
be used ensuring you'll hear shortwave as you've never heard it before, near
CD quality in other words, no fading, no crackle etc.

Now it may be that some sets out there are already "DRM" compatible, I'm not
aware of any at this time but that doesn't mean  anything.  I know Sony had
plans to launch a "multi standard" set which Sony boasted at the time could
"Receive any domestic broadcast on any band in the world?" Well we'll wait
and see on that one, obviously such a set would be adapted to suit each
country's different DAB standards for example but such a set isn't beyond
the realms of a cheap price given the power of the processor chip these
days.

Let's face it, the "shortwave" as we knew it is a definite and obvious
listening medium of the past for better or for worse.  Yes, I mourn its
passing and we're going to regret the day that it ever died I think, if a
country for one reason or another decides to shoot down a communications
satellite? Well that could take out a whole heap of stuff including radio
and TV broadcasts, cell phone communications etc so it will be interesting
to see how fire, police and so forth could get emergency messages out to the
public and son on.

On 16/11/2009, at 4:51 PM, Bob Seed wrote:

> The grundig line of radios are very good and have agood front end. They
are resonably priced as well. .
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "thao vy" <thaovy...@comcast.net>

******************************

Dane Trethowan