It doesn't compare because both are based on completely different principles.

The Ipod Forth Generation nano uses voice tags whereas Rockbox uses TTS.  Each
system has its advantages and disadvantages, for instance you get the title,
artist and so on of a particular song announced on your Ipod Forth Generation
word by word - example: Dean Martin - Everybody Loves Somebody Sometimes
whereas this information is spelt out letter by letter.

You also have more options over what kind of speech you want, this is set from
the computer you're connecting the Ipod with whether that be a Mac or Windows
system, with Rockbox I found it very difficult to find a good speech engine to
my liking, I did find one in the end though others were just too fast for my
liking.

The only problem I've struck with the Ipod Forth Generation Nano is that some
of its applications such as time/date alarm and the like are completely
unusable but again, that's what you expect to happen if you're using voice
tags, the menus all speak however.

We're up to the Ipod Fifth generation now and that unit has Voiceover built-in
to it so in other words, the Ipod Nano Fifth Generation has a Built-in Screen
Reader so its completely customisable.  I don't know even if you can buy an
Ipod Nano Forth Generation now can you? I have one here and I wouldn't give it
up for quits I can tell you, well not at least until I get my Iphone next week
- if they haven't sold out in the meantime <smile> -'

On 28/11/2009, at 4:50 AM, Jason Boston wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with the talking menus in the 4th
> generation iPod nanos? I'm curious how it compares to the accessibility
> of rockbox.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

> pc-audio-unsubscr...@pc-audio.org