I have a possible solution. There is no guarantee this will work. It did work for me but I wasn't expecting it. It might not work for your card as it is newer and has different software. I hope it does have the basic tone controls like mine has or this won't do you any good at all.

I think all the junk Creative installs gets in the way of basic Windows software. Especially the Creative Surround mixer. I don't know what program has the Entertainment mode but you don't want that either.

It's a bit of work.

First: You need to download the latest software from Creative. That is a job. You just want the basic software and driver package. The web site can automatically find your card but it might be better to choose manually the software to download. You have to drill down several levels with combo boxes. And, there are buttons that Jaws doesn't always see that you have to find with the Jaws cursor.

Now: change your default sound card to the onboard sound device because you might not get sound for a while.

Next. Make sure your screen reader is also using that default sound device.

OK: Uninstall all the creative software.
If your computer reboots, cancel the found new hardware wizard.

Now install the new package you downloaded. Make sure to do a custom install. We want to make sure you do not install the Creative Surround Mixer or any of the stupid helper programs. You basically want the drivers and the Creative Console.

Be sure to read everything. Both on the we page for the downloads and when installing the new software.

Fweew! It tires me out reading those instructions. Maybe just rip the whole thing out. <grin>
Bob.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave McElroy WA6BEF" <d...@drakelroy.com>