From: "Dane Trethowan" <grtd...@internode.on.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:54 AM
Subject: Re: airfoil

| Airfoil has nothing whatever to do with FM radio as I think I've told this
list about 90 thousand times already if you care to look at the archives you
could probably do a count <smile>.

| I mentioned Airfoil and associated products and software due to the
original discussion of FM transmitters, I used to use them but I went away
from that route because I wanted clearer reception, I wanted the sound to
sound as it should sound directly from a pair of speakers connected to an
amp or whatever and this is why I'm using Airfoil.  Now I'm sorry if I'm
going to bore the pants off the majority of you by repeating myself again so
I'll try and make it brief so you won't have to suffer too much misery.

| Firstly Airfoil has nothing whatever to do with bluetooth speakers as some
list members seem to think for whatever reason.  Airfoil is a tool which
hijacks an application on your computer or an audio source on your
computer - say Winamp as an application or the line in of a sound card being
a physical sound source - and transmits that source over a home network so
any device or computer capable of receiving that transmission or stream can
decode it so you can hear it.

| The easiest way to receive  anything from Airfoil is to use another
computer and run the Airfoil Speakers software which will receive the
transmission from Airfoil, if your computer has a digital out then you can
connect this to a digital processor or surround-sound receiver and get that
to decode the signal for you, very nice way of doing things because you get
good quality sound and even surround-soud if your source has it.

| If you don't want to use a computer then you can use Airfoil Speakers on
your Iphone or Ipod touch or you can purchase an Airport Express.  Without
going into too much detail yet again this little 3/3 inch box is in fact a
network base station but it has an audio out jack which is both analogue and
digital so you can of course put an Airport Express in another room and
conceal it should you want to, you can then connect the Airport Express up
to a radio with line in, again up to the digital input of a surround-sound
receiver or digital processor and so on.

| I'm not having a go at FM transmitters but really, they have their
limitations and problems and they just will not give good sound
reproduction, well I have seen those that do but for the money you pay to
get them? You'd be better doing a job properly and streaming your audio so
you can listen to a good quality sound and Airfoil is one way of doing that.

| On 17/01/2010, at 7:38 PM, Joe wrote:
|
| > Hi. A while ago airfoil was mentioned on this list. I looked at the web
site and its my understanding you can't just send audio to any FM radio with
it but you need another PC. and speakers to receive audio.What other
hardware do you need. I know the airfoil software for windows costs $25 US.
If that's so, comparing it to FM transmitters is like comparing apples and
oranges. Am I correct? or can you indeed send audio to an FM radio with
airfoil. Thanks. Joe.