I quite like the IMic from Griffin Technology. For a while it wasn't available
on their site, but I see that it's back for addition to their shopping cart at
$30. It just plugs into the USB port, and has an input and an output jack, with
a switch to go from line in to microphone settings. It doesn't do the what you
hear or stereo mix feature though, but if your laptop doesn't have a line in
port, it's quite handy. You wouldn't think a small piece of plastic would work
so well.
Matthew