Just to clarify this a little, I've not played with Audacity much myself but it
was certainly accessible enough to get around, I remember someone writing a
tutorial to use Audacity with JAWS, I was able to adapt the concepts presented
in that tutorial without a problem to get Audacity to work successfully using
Window-Eyes on the Windows PC and Voiceover on the Mac.

Unfortunately, I Don't remember where I found the tutorial so someone on list
may know where to find it or indeed! whether the tutorial still exists.  The
Tutorial talks about 1.35 which was - and still is as far as I know - in beta.