I might add that one can label the points, where the bookmarks are added and
there is a prompt to do so, when one hits the m key!

-Mac-
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Matzura" <numb...@speakeasy.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: Marking long MP3 files for skip-to points

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:11:14 -0400, you wrote:

>I sort of asked this question before and someone told me to use Wave
>Pad.  But I am a real greenhorn at this stuff and if someone can help
>me out with a step-by-step instructions on how to do this, I would be
>very greatful.  I have several 25 to 50 mgb recording that have no
>skip-to points in them. How can I put several in at say, every 5
>minutes so as to better navigate forward and backward through the mp3
>audio files.

The only way I know of to do this is with Winamp.

1.  Start playing the file.

2.  Pause with C.

3.  Jump to the desired time in minutes and seconds with CTRL/J.

4.  Insert a bookmark with m.

5.  Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you've added all the jump points you
want.

A few caveats.

1.  This only works with Winamp using the JAWS scripts as provided by
FS.  There may be equivalent functionality with Window-Eyes, I don't
know.

2.  The bookmarks are saved in a special JAWS-readable bookmarks file,
not in the MP3 itself, so you can't take the bookmarks or the
bookmarked file with you to another machine.

Once the jump points are added, they stay in the JAWS Winamp bookmark
file until they are removed.  While it is possible to remove them
without the use of Winamp, using Notepad or some other text editor,
it's a little obtuse in how to do it, so the bookmarks file could
potentially grow.