Okay, I'll do my best to explain things here.

Given that Audio Hijack Pro handles many sources then how you adjust the level
depends very much on what you're hijacking/recording from, with Audio Hijack
Pro, "Hijack" and "Record" are 2 different operations. In order to "Record" you
first need to "Hijack" a source, you may just want to "Hijack" a source rather
than record it, when a source is Hijacked, you can redirect its audio for
example.

Some sources you can adjust the level by adjusting the volume control of that
source - say DVD Player -, others are "Fixed" level sources but the point here
is that Audio Hijack Pro is not an editor, only a recorder so if further level
adjustments or tweaking is necessary then you "Edit" the recording which is
placed in Audio Hijack's "Recording Bin", various other operations are
available from there including the addition of effects, burning to CD and so on.

I hope this goes some way to explaining things and other Mac users may have
additional notes to add.