Yes, if you download any books to your PC, you'll need to put them on a
blank cartridge, a USB flash drive or some other USB attachable drive that
you can plug into your NLS player. Note that only a blank cartridge is
officially supported by the NLS, but other flash drives do work. You can
find out more at the BARD Talk web site at http://www.bardtalk.com/. For
example, you can find out where to purchase blank cartridges and which flash
drives people have gotten to work with the NLS player. Of course, you can
store these books on your hard drive and transfer them to your cartridge or
flash drive as needed. You can also just leave them on the BARD site and
download them when you need them.

There are also several DAISY book readers that will play NLS books, such as
the Booksense and the Victor Stream. You'll need a code to access the BARD
books, but you can get this from the maker of your DAISY book player. Again,
you can get this information from the BARD site, the BARD Talk web site or
your state library service.

You cannot play BARD books on your PC. I've exchanged emails with people at
the NLS, and contrary to popular opinion, this isn't because they're worried
about the material being copied. It has more to do with how to spend their
limited resources and get the most books into people's hands the quickest.
In other words, coming up with a DAISY player for the PC or working out an
authorization scheme for existing DAISY players, such as FS Reader, just
wasn't high enough on their priority list. Remember that NLS doesn't just
support computer savvy people, and furthermore, a lot of computer savvy
people aren't interested in reading books on their PC. I personally would
appreciate this feature, but I can certainly understand why it wasn't very
high on their priority list.

--
Christopher
chalt...@gmail.com