Hi Rob and list,

Thanks to everyone who offered me advice. I have since downloaded GoldWave's latest version. I am also looking at their Multiquence program. Is it accessible to WE users?

Johnny

At 11:15 PM 5/16/2010, you wrote:
Good evening Johnny and List.

I commend you to try Goldwave as a sound recorder and editing package. The program is downloadable as a demo from http://www.goldwave.com/ This will enable you to experiment pretty thoroughly with the software before you make a decision as to whether to buy it. It will give you about 3 thousand keystrokes before you are prompted to buy the licensed copy or to uninstall the demo version.

When I purchased Goldwave several months ago I paid $49 US which I regard as a very good value for its abundance of sound editing and reprocessing features. As for the learning curve, I had no prior experience in producing digital audio before acquiring and learning Goldwave which is very speech friendly with JAWS. For even better JAWS interface I also commend you to get and install the Goldwave JAWS scripts developed by Jim Grimsby. They are free and easily installed by simply copying the 18 files into the JAWS settings folder. The scripts come in a zip file. The Lame MP3 encoder is also available on the Goldwave web site and will be needed if you want to record in or change your sampling rate to 44.1 KHz, the sampling rate required to enable production of an audio CD if you wish to do this.

Lastly, I have experienced the Goldwave help file to be very easily navigable and easy to use as a learning resource.

If you use other screen readers such as Window-Eyes or SAM or NVDA I must defer to those experienced users.

Have fun with the brave world of audio production, whatever audio package you decide to get.

Best regards
Rob Tabor
----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnny Angel!" <j...@neo.rr.com>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2010 4:06 PM
Subject: Digital recording software

Hi,

I am getting ready to record my wife reading. I might even want to put some music in the background. What software is inexpensive and is relatively easy for a novice to learn. The key words in the previous sentence are "easy" and "inexpensive". <smile>

Thanks,

Johnny Chilelli

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5121 (20100517) __________

http://www.eset.com