Hi everyone.  Sorry if this is rather random, but I hope that someone
can help.  I'm currently recording audio from the radio and old
cassettes using a stand alone CD recorder.  I'm using re-recordable
discs so that I don't have to keep buying new ones, but they seem to
pick up dust and scratches very easily, and the instructions for the
recorder are accurate in warning that any discs used will only
function properly if such issues are not present.  Does anybody know
how I can check whether a CD is scratched (bearing in mind that I'm
totally blind, that scratches can rarely be felt on the surface of a
CD and that touching the surface would most likely damage the disc
anyway)?  Also, does anyone know of a way in which I can safely ensure
that any dust is removed from a disc without running the risk of
scratching it?  Finally, does anyone know whether re-recordable discs
are naturally more temperamental than recordable ones, or is anyone
able to name types/makes of re-recordable discs which aren't
temperamental?  At the moment I'm losing recordings because the
machine stops recording and deletes what it's accumulated part of the
way through a session, and this is getting both awkward and
irritating.

Apologies for all of the questions - any help will be appreciated.

Danny