Did you connect the IR Blaster cable cord to the back of your Slingbox hardware and the other end of this cable in front of your cable or satellite box. The cable has 2 Infrared red sensors that should be in front of the cable box or satellite box. During the Slingbox hardware setup your husband needs to input the correct cable or satellite box make and model number. During the setup your husband should have tested and passed the remote control questions. One of them was to see if you could change the channel by clicking a button on that setup screen. Did he pass that test? Also, if its a DVR box you need to tell it is one and not just a box. This test ensures when you are using the Sling Player software application will change channels when you press the numbers row on the keyboard. When you press the numbers row on your keyboard like 124 this info acts like a remote control and send out the signal from the Slingbox to the sensors that are located in front of the box you are trying to manipulate. . Not sure if things have changed now. Are you using Sling Player 2.0 software because from what I read you are using the web to access your Slingbox signal and you don't want to do this. You need to install the Sling Player 2.0 software application there. It is built with many keyboard shortcuts. Note: The Sling Player 2.0 software along with JAWS 11 cannot read what appears on your tv screen that sighted users get to see like the menus, tv guide and to set DVR recordings. It's invisible. But you can change channels and hear your tv signal anywhere in the world. If its a DVR your husband can tell you how to get to the DVR recordings area by telling you with Sling Player open and running how many up or down arrows to do and then activate the item to go to the recordings playlist. Not sure if you are interested in this but bringing it up. Will require you to memorize. If you are going to the website version the changing of channels does not work with the numbers row and I think you are doing this from what I read. This tip is not 100 percent fool proof but I did test the Sling website version myself over 2 weeks ago and the keyboard shortcuts didn't work but I tried only a few that I know here. Did you install the active x for the web version? After you are logged in this worked for me. Much of the text on the screen on the web version are links but JAWS does not show them as links. Just press your enter keyboard key on the text and they will act as links. Toggle the remote to be hidden there. Ask your husband if the remote control has disappearred. Then what I did here was a shift+F10 or try your Context menu keyboard key. This should bring a context menu list. In one of the submenus there are options to change the channel up or down one digit. Say you are on channel 8 and if you choose up option you will be on channel 9. Hopefully the manufacturer of your tv cable box satellite box and SlingMedia put some extra effort for your remote to work like it did for me. The remote control both within Sling Player 2 and the web version are invisible. Right now you should install Sling Player 2.0 if it isn't already on your PC. Here is the Sling Player 2 download page for windows PCs.

http://support.slingbox.com/go/windows-download-desktop-us

This is for users based in the USA. They make Slingboxes for other countries and requires those overseas to use another version of Sling Player 2. You can install Sling Player Mobile software for your phone.

Hope this helps.