To: "'PC Audio Discussion List'" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 1:48 AM
Subject: Power from USB [was "RE: Laptop speakers question"]

I guess I have a different take on all of this. Contrary to what someone
said early in the thread, the USB port was definitely designed to provide
power to attached devices. Otherwise, the specification wouldn't have
included this in the first place. In Wikipedia's definition of the Universal
Serial Bus (USB) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus, it
says "The USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5 V supply on a single
wire from which connected USB devices may draw power." Therefore, I don't
see anything wrong with devices taking advantage of this and no one should
worry about anything bad happening to their PC's or USB attached devices.

In fact, Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, Sony Ericsson and LG have all settled on
the micro USB port as their standard power port. China and the European
Commission (EC) will also soon be requiring cell phones sold to use the USB
port for power and charging.

Of course, there are devices that pull more power than the USB port can
provide. There are also non-standard devices, including a lot of USB
decorations, such as lights, fans, cup warmers and so on that don't include
the necessary electronics to support the USB specifications. These devices
could potentially cause some erratic behavior on your PC.

--
Christopher
chalt...@gmail.com