To: "PC Audio" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:35 AM
Subject: Fwd: Confirm after download

Hi all,

I'm forwarding this message for John Machin who is a friend of mine.
John isn't currently subscribed to this list so it would be helpful if
anyone who can assist John could please write to him directly.  His
email address is john-...@bigpond.com.  Thanks in advance.

Regards Steve.

From:    J & P Machin john-...@bigpond.com

Hi Steve,
I am not currently subscribed to the pc-audio list.
I believe you are and wonder if you can do me a favour by asking the
list members if anyone can help me through you or directly with
information about where I can make changes in Window 7 to what was
known in Windows 98 and Windows XP as "Confirm after download".

In Windows XP, I was able to take the following steps to access the
"Confirm after download" checkbox for specific file types. However,
Vista and Windows 7 apparently have a different way of setting the
equivalent option.

Here are the steps to achieve this feature in Windows XP which I
think I got from members of PC-audio some years ago.

CONFIRM OPEN AFTER DOWNLOAD

Sometimes an email or other document will present a direct URL in the
text on a line by itself. If you put the cursor on the beginning of
the URL, Windows will go directly to the file address on that web
site. What happens then depends on the settings in Windows Explorer
for that particular file type. For example, if the file concerned is
an MP3 type, Windows will do one of two things.

In scenario 1, the file will be downloaded to a temporary location on
your computer. Then, the file will be automatically opened and
played. At the end of the playing, you may have trouble finding the
temporary file on your drive to re-play or copy it.

In scenario 2, a menu in the form of a dialog box appears giving you
the option of opening the file or saving it to your computer in a
location of your choice. If your computer responds according to
scenario 1, you can make a couple of adjustments in Windows Explorer
to give you scenario 2 for specific file types. Window Explorer lists
hundreds of file types in numeric-alphabetic order according to the
file name extension. Each extension has various settings so Windows
knows how each file type is to be handled. Apart from pressing enter
on the direct file address in an email or document, you can also type
the direct URL address manually in the edit box in the Run feature on
the Start menu. Again, this will present you with either scenario 1
or 2 in the same way.

Let's say, you need to setup Windows Explorer to give you the option
to open or save MP3 files. Then, follow the steps below.

1. Press the Windows key+E to open Windows Explorer. Alternatively, select:
Start Menu, Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer and press Enter.

2. Press ALT+t to pull down the Tools menu.

3. Press O to select Folder Options. The Folders options Property Box
opens with three tab pages. Namely, General, View, and File Types.

4. Press Shift+Tab to move focus to the General Tab

5. Press the right arrow key to move focus to the View tab.

6. Press the right Arrow key once more to move focus to the File
Types tab. You will then be at the top of a list view of Registered File Types.

7. Press the down Arrow key to move down through the list of file
types till you get to highlight MP3. If you go past it, use the Up
arrow to move back through the list. As the list is long, type the
letter M to jump to extensions beginning with that letter.
.
8. With MP3 highlighted, press Tab to move focus to the Advance
button. Jaws will say something like: "MP3 details advance.

9. Press enter to open the Advance dialog.

10. Tab about seven times until you find the Check box labelled: Confirm open
after download. This box needs to be checked to enable scenario 2 above.

11. If the box is not checked, press the Space bar to check it.

12. Press Tab to move focus to the next item which is a Check box
labelled: Always show extension. You might like to have this box checked.

13. If the box isn't checked, press the  spacebar to check it.

14. Press tab once more to move focus to the next item which is the
Okay button and press enter to save changes. However, if you don't
want to keep any changes, press tab to the Cancel button and press enter.

15. Press ALT+F4 to close Windows explorer and return to the Desktop.

16. Reboot your computer to make sure that changes take effect before
you try them out.

The above settings were made only in respect to files having the MP3
extension. If you want the same settings to apply to other file
types, you have to return to Registered file types and check the
appropriate check boxes for each file type one at a time.

I suggest that before you try saving a file, decide where you would
like to save that file.
Perhaps you may like to use the My Downloads folder in My Documents.
Alternatively, you may like to create a new folder and call it say:
MP3 downloads.

In this example, we will download to the folder named Temp which is
already on your drive C.
Now, when you press Enter on a line in an email, document or the Run
feature containing the direct URL and file address, a menu will pop
up in the form of a dialog box containing the following four items:
Cancel Button.  File security warning link.  Open Button.  Save button.
Press the tab key to move focus from item to item.
Pressing enter on the Open button or typing O will open the file and play it.
Pressing Enter on the Save button or typing S will display the Save
dialog box with the following eight items:

File name edit box. Type over to change name if desired.
Save As type radio buttons. Use up or Down Arrow keys to change type..
Save button Press Enter to save file..
Cancel button. Press Enter to abort operation.
Save in list box. Note the current location.
Up one level button. Press spacebar to move up a level.
Recent. Press spacebar to list previously used locations.
Folder list box. Arrow up and down to highlight a folder and press
enter to open it.

When the file is saved to disk, you may need to press Alt+F4 to
return to the Desktop.
The above steps are applicable for Windows XP.
Vista and Windows 7 do things differently.

Can any one please throw some light on this topic and provide me with
the easiest way of making such adjustments in Windows 7?

My direct email is:
john-...@bigpond.com
I would be greatful for tips posted directly to me or on the list.
Steve, please let me know if we receive replies.
Kind regards,
John Machin.
Melbourne, Australia.

Regards Steve