Hi, Dane.
I just bought a griffin imic which I'm using on my windows xp machine. It is
working wel as far as playback,  but when I try to record using a microphone I
get a lot of background whine  which sounds like it might be coming through the
usb port. I have the mic gain adjustment turned all the way up. Here's a link
to a sample.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5297006/imictest.mp3
 I'm using an audiotechnica modelat8004  dynamic omnidirectional microphone
which has a sensitivity rating of -49 db and impedance of 600 ohms. Do you have
any idea what might be causing this noise. The imic is plutged into one of the
usb ports on my audigy sound card. I
also tried it on one of the pc usb ports on the bcak of the pc with the same
results.