Greetings,

I am copying this to friends not on the list (for their own information and
possible comment).

In my humble opinion, none of you have it right.

firstly, the j, k, l functions were introduced in GW v5.25 it may have been
in v5.22 but I jumped from v5.12 to v5.25 so am unsure. I've checked with a
friend but they are unable to confirm if it was v5.22 or v5.23 both of which
they used, but certainly before v5.25.

Secondly, you are all skating round the markers problem.

You can hear the sound when moving your markers if you do the following
(Note I am using v5.56 here so it may not be exactly the same in v5.57 but I
doubt it will be much different).

1. Press f11, you are now in the play tab within control properties.

2. tab to the item **after** the two winds, you will see by default this is
set to 0.0.

3. If you set a value infront of the decimal point, as you move your
start/end markers, you will hear however many seconds' worth of the sound
you wish.  If you place a value after the decimal point, you will hear the
decimal part of a second whenever you move the start/end markers.

I have mine set to 0.150, which means whenever I move my start/end markers,
I hear 15 hundredths of a second.

I played with values and find this to be about right.  remember you hear it
**whenever** you move either start or end marker, I do not know if it has
effects anywhere else in the program. I reckon putting anything infront of
the decimal point leads to confusion (but then, I am **very** easily
confused).

Note also, when making very fine adjustments, you will hear rather more than
you actually delete or whatever, meaning in my case with 0.150, moving my
start marker, I hear start marker to 15 hundredths of a second, moving my
end marker, I hear 15 hundredths of a second up to my end marker.  If you
are, therefore, deleting, say a lip smack or a mouthy slurp, you will need
to set your zoom level very very closely so as not to pick up surrounding
sounds or remove ambience.

this, I find, is often a fault with so-called professionals, they seem to
forget how artificial removing breaths and/or ambient sounds such as room
echo, make the results seem so unnatural.

I've really only been aware of such things, since using digital editting;  I
started to notice them when editting on minidisk which I could do very
precisely but nowhere so close as with digital editting programs.

Well, I reckon I have waffled long enough for now so cheers.

Colin Howard has sent you this from a small place about 8 miles east of
Southampton in Southern England.