Supposedly, there is a way to turn off the AVC and manuallly control the input level. In that case it should work fine. So far, I haven't figured out how. I did, however, record from the speaker output of my Drake R-4C ham reeceiver and it wasn't bad. AVC was turned on and the input sensitivity was as low as it would go. There was some "pumping" on the recording, but not bad.

Howard
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dane Trethowan" <grtd...@internode.on.net>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <Pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:42 AM
Subject: Olympus recorders

Hi!

These Olympus recorders look very nice however I have one question which I've not seen answered yet and I'm sure someone's tackled it here, can you use an Olympus recorder to record from the line-out of say a tuner or something like that?

The DM520 units are quite cheap and - assuming I can do line in recordings - I'd be tempted to buy one.