Hi list:  I know this is an "audio list"..but my problem concerns playing DVDs!
 Am trying to assess if the reason why my computer will not play DVDs is the
fault of the DVD drive..or if I just need the right DVD playing software to
play the things!  Let me give you some background first: just before Christmas,
I was given some CDs to record to cassette (one of them didn't work..or so I
thought)..the long and short of it is that..what I thought was a CD was a DVD!
So I decided to try to play it in my computer to find out for sure!  I tried
Windows Media..no soap; I also tried using Real Player (got video..but no
sound)..I tried Power DVD (it told me I had to buy it (I didn't think I
did..but that's what it was telling me (that my "trial period had run out!"  So
I called my tech; he put me on to this program called VLC Media Player!  I
tried a couple of DVDs in it; it'll play them..but not right; I don't know if I
can explain what it's doing (by the way..this VLC Media Player isn't that
accessible)..so maybeyou folks can also point me in the right direction with
that too!  But with VLC Media player, the DVDs will at least "play"..but it
skips and jumps and just sounds crazy!  So as you can probably figure out, I
need to know if I need to have something done with my DVD drive..or do I just
need the right program (hopefully one that is accessible)..BTW-I do have some
vision, so I would need something that will show me the video (I've heard of
DVD Audio Extractor..which won't work for my purposes!  I'll be most grateful
for any help or direction you can give..and my apologies if this is
"off-topic"..since this is a PC Audio list; I just don't know where else to
turn at the moment!
Tom Kaufman