Hi All.

I'm new to the list, I'm nick, a software engineer from the UK.

When I was in my teens I did quite a bit of messing around with midi. I used cakewalk express and used their virtual piano software as an input device. This was on a windows 98 box.

Recently I've wanted to get back to doing a bit of composing again so managed to find the cakewalk express disk and had a play around. cakewalk seems to work fine on my XP laptop but the midi out on xp seems to have about half a second latency making it unworkable.

I've tried downloading the yamaha soft synth which seemed to have the same problem. I've also tried using fluid synth which claims to be a real-time sound font synth. I don't know much about sound fonts and although the latency was better with that it still wasn't usable and XP seemed to grind to a crawl.

I'd be happy to here any suggestions for getting this to work so that I can have playback and record at the same time. The box isn't the best in the world but it's way more powerful than the old windows 98 box I had. I can run virtual machines on it so it should be easily powerful enough to do midi.

Any ideas gladly received.
Thanks.
Nick.