Hi Evan.
Welcome to the list.
iTunes will allow you to convert multiple files, even albums or different file types, to M4A (AAC) by default. Can't remember the default bitrate but you can look in the import settings of preferences, accessed with ctrl+comma.
Hope this helps.
Take care.

Chris Hallsworth
You can contact me at the following channels:
E-mail and Facebook: challswor...@sky.com
MSN: ch9...@hotmail.com
Skype: chrishallsworth7266