This is one of the few reasons why I just don't use Sound Forge to record anything if I can help it <smile> but there are a few things you can do to minimise the load on your processor and drive to give Sound Forge an easier time of it.

If you're Running Windows XP and later versions of Sound Forge - which you are - than buffering isn't so much of an issue.

Firstly and most importantly make sure that your hard drive is as optimised as possible, Diskeeper is my tool of choice here but if you don't have that then use the Disk Defragmentation tool which comes with Windows.

Next disable the recording counter which shows you the position of your file, I think that's what its called.

Sound Forge help file has a full section on this sort of stuff, think its called Optimising Sound Forge, been a while since I've read that you know as I don't use Sound Forge all that often these days.