Carlos,

Ok. Think about what you want to do. Obviously you want to record, using the PC. You'll want the most input resources available to you. Line-in, stereo mix, .wav and whatever else your sound card supports.

Capturing the audio, in which ever form, can be done by most recording software, that is not the end of the matter.

You might need or want, or have to edit some recordings. For most processes, goldwave has full keyboard support, and integrates with most major screen readers to a greater or lesser extent; I.E there may be scripts or setfiles to improve access, but these are not necessary when you understand the audio software you are running and have a good working knowledge of the screen reader in use.

If itr's straight recording, with little edditing, then mp3 direct cut will facilitate the recording of audio with .mp3 files as the output file format. This is free, but cutting, copying, pasting, equalizing only the volume fading in/out is just about it with mp3 direct cut. but it's fairly straight forward, and will capture and save audio.

Goldwave, Sound forge, record all and total recorder are but a few audio editing packages which give reasonable access .

The goldwave dev. team are always responsive to the needs of screen reader/magnifier users, and will take on board, then modify or repair elements if they are broken, or just not accessible; That is worth paying fifty or sixty canadian dollars for in my opinion.

Sony's sound forge, although you didn't mention this, is extremely powerful, and is the highest price tag.

In earlier versions, care needed to be taken with the total recorder drivers, because they conflicted or isolated other required sound drivers. This was not difficult to fix, but caught a few of us on the hop when things that used to work no longer worked. This issue may have been resolved for further stable releases of the software, other list contributors can confirm or not this situation.

If however you want to multi track record, then probably up for consideration must be the Reaper multi track recorder; This is where there are say a drum track, then a bass track, keyboard track, main vocal track and say 3 harmony vocals. So you can then play and edit each of these 7 audio source tracks till you have what you want, then mix them together, and save the project down to an audio file format.

Reaper is not free, but I think the rae pluggin for better access is.

This is also a considerable learning curve, so be prepared to listen to pod casts, and read the manual.

Going back to goldwave, the manual is brilliant. In .html format, navigation and searching and locating results is a breeze when you understand your web browser and how to use the screen reader for navigating .html documents.

Audacity is free I think, I don't have much experience of this though.
sorry this is a little sketchey.

Just some thoughts for you, and good luck.

Joe Paton

APART Consultancy Limited,

tel.: 0044 1702 543 624.
http://www.apart.org