I'm using the ripper in the Real Player, latest version in both cases. They are definitely ripping to 320 kbps .mp3 at constant bit rate. Both computers use Windows xp though one is home and the other Media Center.

I was wondering if there was a way to see if one was using lame or perhaps if they were different versions of lame or some other encoding engine.

Thanks for the effort. If you or anyone else has ideas, I'll be happy to know. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Chaltain" <chalt...@gmail.com>
To: "PC Audio Discussion List" <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: determing which encoder is used

Which program are you using to rip the CD's? I assume you're using the
same program on both computers, and ditto for the other settings? I
suppose the hardware, CD reader, device driver, ..., and even processor
might make a difference, so ripping at the slowest possible rate and
giving the CD ripping program the highest priority setting might help.
Also, what differences is the person saying they are noticing? I doubt I
know enough to answer your question, but I would think these would be
important pieces of information.